In general, ping pong play will be governed by the rules
accepted by the USATT & ITTF. The complete specification
can be found here:
There are, however, a few rules that deserve highlighting:
- Matches are best 3 of 5 games to 11 points (win by 2).
- Server of the first game is determined by the winner of a single rally. The ball must cross
the net 3 times for the rally to be valid. In subsequent games, the loser of the prior game serves
- Players switch service after every 2 points. If a game is tied 10-10,
players alternate service after every point until someone wins.
- When serving, players must toss the ball up at least 5 inches into the air.
You are not allowed to hit it directly out of your hand -- IT MUST BE TOSSED!
Also, the ball must be served from completely behind the server's end line.
- A player forfeits the point immediately if he moves the table, or touches
the table with the non-paddle hand. They also lose the point immediately
if the ball hits their finger or hand.